Today’s reading is: Ex. 39:32-40:38; Num. 9:15-23
Exodus Chapter Thirty-Nine
(Outline continues from yesterday)
- The completed elements of the tabernacle were brought to Moses for his inspection, and his blessing of their labor (Ex. 39:32-43).
- The pronouncement of blessing (72x in Genesis, 5x in Exodus 1-38) is not so common in Exodus. Moses’s blessing here (Ex. 39:43) should be studied in connection with Lev. 9:22,23 & Num. 6:23-27 where the scarcity of usage is remarkable. The narratives of Balaam 14x (Num. 22-24) and the Book of Deuteronomy 39x return to more frequent usages.
Exodus Chapter Forty + Num. 9:15-23
- Moses instructs Israel to erect the tabernacle on new year’s day (Ex. 40:1-16).
- The month of the Passover/Exodus was established as the first of the months for Israel.
- Thus, an entire year has gone by since the parting of the Red Sea, and the Exodus of Israel out of Egypt.
- Moses supervises the actual erection of the tabernacle (Ex. 40:17-33).
- Once completed, the glory of Yahweh filled the tabernacle (Ex. 40:34-38).
- The glory remains with Israel until they depart from Him in idolatry (1st Sam. 4:21,22).
- The glory returns when the King of Peace (Solomon) builds the temple (1st Kgs. 8:10,11).
- The glory remains with Israel until they depart from Him in idolatry (Ezek. 10:18; 11:23).
- The glory returns when the King of Peace (the Lord Jesus Christ) builds the Millennial temple (Ezek. 43:1-5).
- This glory is the manifestation of God as unapproachable light (1st Tim. 6:16; Lev. 16:1,2).
- The Book of Exodus closes with a summary statement descriptive of Israel’s travel protocol: the Glorious Pillar System (Ex. 40:36-38 cf. Num. 9:15-23; Neh. 9:16-21).