Today’s reading is: Jn. 3
John Chapter Three
- A Pharisee and Jewish ruler named Nicodemus came to Christ and received the greatest Gospel message in the entire Bible (Jn. 3:1-21).
- Nicodemus confessed the Pharisees understanding of Christ’s origin (v.2).
- Jesus laid out the only issue that matters to this lost and dying world. With the heavenly credentials established, the heavenly message must be given: “you must be born again” (vv.3,7).
- The second birth cannot be understood in natural, human terms (vv.4-6). It is a spiritual action that cannot be physically seen, but it can certainly be felt (v.8).
- Academic Bible knowledge is not the total answer. We must humbly accept the heavenly message as it has been given (vv.9-13).
- The crucifixion of Jesus Christ is the only means by which mankind might receive eternal life by means of grace through faith (vv.14-15 cf. Num. 21:8-9).
- In this Gospel message, Christ reveals the Father’s Gift (vv.16-17).
- Failure to believe results in death as the fallen estate of the natural man (v.18).
- Light & darkness are in conflict even as the saved and the lost are in conflict (vv.19-21).
- John records a parallel ministry of Jesus Christ and John the Baptist for a short period of time (Jn. 3:22-36).
- During this time, the disciples of Christ were engaged in a baptism ministry (Jn. 3:22-23; 4:1-2).
- The Baptist encouraged his followers to pursue the Christ’s growing ministry even as his own ministry diminished (Jn. 3:25-30).
- The Baptist amplifies the message of Christ’s exaltation as he outlines the ministry of Jesus Christ coming from God the Father in the power of God the Holy Spirit and the salvation message of faith in Christ (Jn. 3:31-36).