Today’s reading is: Era 7: The Return From Exile. 538-6BC
Era 7: The Return From Exile 538-6 BC
An introductory class to prepare for Day 259 through Day 273. 15 messages for this era is the second shortest portion of this TTB. Scriptures in this era include Daniel (the last three chapters), Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi, and the final snippets from 1st & 2nd Chronicles.
Back in the Land, Now What?
Various returnings to the land by a few (Jer. 29:10) are not God’s sovereign regathering of all Israel (Jer. 24:6,7; Mt. 24:31) for the eschatological theocratic kingdom.
Vacated Davidic Throne is not the eschatological theocratic kingdom (Dan. 2:44,45; 7:13-14,21-22,27).
Vacant Temple (no shekinah glory presence) with no mercy seat still awaits a greater glory (Lk. 2:22-38; Ezek. 40-48).
Ezra-Nehemiah records the reality of anti-Jewish hostility in the promised land.
Esther records the reality of anti-Jewish hostility in the diaspora.
Preparing for Silence
Closing the Hebrew Canon.
Gathering (and excluding), arranging and ordering, transcribing and editorial redacting.
Translating into Samaritan and Greek—the Samaritan Pentateuch (SP) & the Septuagint (LXX).
Era 7 Chronology of major events:
- 539 BC – Cyrus decreed Jewish liberation
- 538 – 457 BC – Events described in book of Ezra transpired
- 538 BC – People began returning to their homeland from exile
- 536 BC – Construction of the Temple began
- 530 BC – Work on the Temple halted
- 522 – 486 BC – Haggai ministered during these years
- 520 BC – Haggai wrote his little book; Zechariah began his prophetic ministry; work on the Temple resumed
- 516 BC – the Temple was completed
- 465 BC – Artaxerxes I became King of Persia
- 458 BC – Ezra went to Jerusalem
- 457 – 444 BC – The book of Ezra was written
- 445 BC – Nehemiah went to Jerusalem and became governor; the wall of Jerusalem was rebuilt
- 433 – 400 BC – Malachi wrote his short book