Today’s reading is: 2 Kgs. 9:1-10:31; 2 Chr. 21:8-22:9
2nd Kings Chapter Nine
- Elisha dispatched one of his students to anoint Jehu as the next King of Israel (2nd Kgs. 9:1-10).
- Jehu’s fellow military commanders accept his anointing, and proclaim him king (2nd Kgs. 9:11-13).
- Jehu outraces any possible word of his treason, and assassinates Jehoram (2nd Kgs. 9:14-26), Ahaziah, King of Judah (2nd Kgs. 9:27-28), and Queen Jezebel, fulfilling everything Elijah spoke concerning her (2nd Kgs. 9:30-37; cf. 1st Kgs. 21:21-24).
2nd Kings Chapter Ten
- Jehu solidifies his reign on the throne of Israel by ordering the execution of the entire house of Ahab (2nd Kgs. 10:1-11).
- Jehu also ordered the execution of the relatives of Ahaziah, king of Judah (2nd Kgs. 10:12-14).
- He also executed every shred of loyalty to Ahab (2nd Kgs. 10:15-17).
- He also thoroughly destroyed the Baal worshippers of Israel (2nd Kgs. 10:18-27).
- Jehu’s zeal was not for the Lord, for he was working to restore the initial idolatry of Jeroboam, the son of Nebat (2nd Kgs. 10:28-31).
(Chapter Ten continues tomorrow)
2nd Chronicles Chapter Twenty-One
(Outline continues from TTB Day 170)
- Divine discipline upon Judah included rebellions by Edom and Libnah (2nd Chr. 21:8-10), and an invasion by the Philistines and their Arab allies (2nd Chr. 21:16-17).
- Divine discipline was accompanied by a personal rebuke by the prophet Elijah (2nd Chr. 21:12-15).
- The rebuke was ignored, and Elijah’s prophecy was fulfilled (2nd Chr. 21:11,17-20).
2nd Chronicles Chapter Twenty-Two
- Jehoahaz/Ahaziah was the only son of Jehoram to escape capture by the Philistines (2nd Chr. 21:17; 22:1).
- Ahaziah reigned under his mother’s influence, and a body of counselors from the house of Ahab (2nd Chr. 22:1-4).
- Ahaziah joined with King Jehoram of Israel in a war against Aram at Ramoth-gilead (2nd Chr. 22:5-6; 2nd Kgs. 8:28-29).
- Ahaziah is removed from power by the Lord as a part of His Divine judgment upon the House of Ahab & Jezebel (2nd Chr. 22:7; 2nd Kgs. 9:6-7).
(Chapter Twenty-Two continues )