Today’s reading is: Prov. 20:1-22:16
Proverbs Chapter Twenty
- The believer is to be influenced by the Word of God, and the filling of the Holy Spirit, rather than by the chemical influence of alcohol (Prov. 20:1; Eph. 5:18).
- We may have a number of friends in this world, but there is only One Who is Faithful and True (Prov. 20:6; Rev. 3:14; 19:11).
- No human being qualifies as pure from sin, apart from the cleansing that is offered by the Lord Jesus Christ (Prov. 20:9; Job 14:4; 15:14; 25:4; Ecc. 7:20).
- Young people should be recognized by their Godliness (Prov. 20:11).
- Our life is designed by God, and only He knows all the details (Prov. 20:24).
- Each generation should recognize their opportunities in the Lord (Prov. 20:29).
Proverbs Chapter Twenty-One
- The Lord maintains Sovereign authority over the affairs of men (Prov. 21:1).
- Believers should not be concerned with what other people think, or even what they themselves think about a matter. The issue is the Lord’s absolute standard for judgment (Prov. 21:2).
- The Lord’s true burden is not for the external ritual, but for the internal reality of worship (Prov. 21:3; 1st Sam. 15:22; Isa. 1:11,16-17; Hos. 6:6).
- What goes around comes around (Prov. 21:13).
- Addictions to earthly pleasures bring about personal financial ruin (Prov. 21:17; 23:21; Lk. 15:13-16; 1st Tim. 5:6).
- Wisdom enables the believer to wage spiritual war (Prov. 21:22; 2nd Cor. 10:4-5).
- The sluggard has desires and cravings, but will not work, but the righteous works hard and has an abundance for sharing with others (Prov. 21:25-26; Eph. 4:28; 1st Tim. 6:17-18).
Proverbs Chapter Twenty-Two
- Wisdom allows believers to identify evil, and hide themselves in the Lord (Prov. 22:3; cf. 14:16; 27:12; Ex. 9:20-21).
- It is the responsibility of parents to ground their children in the Word of God when they are young—providing a life-long benefit to them (Prov. 22:6; Gen. 18:19; Deut. 6:7; Eph. 6:4).
- Removal of a trouble-maker removes the trouble within an assembly (Prov. 22:10; 1st Cor. 5:7,13; Matt. 18:17).
(Chapter Twenty-Two continues tomorrow)