Today’s reading is: Prov. 17-19
Proverbs Chapter Seventeen
- Wisdom recognizes the Lord’s refining process in the believer’s life (Prov. 17:3).
- Wisdom demonstrates the blessings of generations of believers (Prov. 17:6).
- Wisdom applies love to circumstances, resulting in peace between believers (Prov. 17:9; 10:12; Jas. 5:20; 1st Pet. 4:8).
- Believers should be friends and brethren for one another, and bear one another’s burdens (Prov. 17:17; 18:24; Jn. 15:13; Rom. 15:1; Gal. 6:2; Eph. 4:32).
- Spiritual health impacts physical health (Prov. 17:22; 3rd Jn. 2).
- When in doubt, close your lips (Prov. 17:27-28; Jas. 1:19).
Proverbs Chapter Eighteen
- Loners are losers in the plan of God for our edification (Prov. 18:1; Heb. 10:23-25).
- The fool is eager to show off his own brilliance (Prov. 18:2).
- The believer’s strong tower is the name (character, reputation, integrity) of the Lord (Prov. 18:10).
- Human viewpoint thinks money can solve all our problems (Prov. 18:11; Ecc. 10:19).
- Spiritual health is much more important than physical health (Prov. 18:14).
- If your physical health is gone, your spiritual health can sustain you (2nd Cor. 4:16).
- If your spiritual health is gone, you no longer have the resources to endure.
- Prayer is the provision for the sustaining of our spiritual health (Lk. 18:1).
- A local church’s most difficult testing will be with offended believers within the assembly (Prov. 18:19).
Proverbs Chapter Nineteen
- It is not good for the man to be alone (Prov. 19:2a cf. Gen. 2:18), and making rushed decisions before a man is joined by knowledge is sinful (Prov. 19:2b; Rom. 14:23).
- Prolonged carnality turns foolishness into hatred against the Lord (Prov. 19:3).
- Spreading money around can win you some fair-weather friends (Prov. 19:6-7).
- Spiritual laziness produces a spiritual sleep (Prov. 19:15-16; Rev. 3:2-3).
- Grace towards the needy is “as unto the Lord” just like our work of service to our earthly masters (Prov. 19:17; Eph. 6:5-8).
- Human plans are many and temporary, but God’s plan is one and eternal (Prov. 19:21).
- Walking in the light allows a believer to sleep in peace (Prov. 19:23).