Today’s reading is: Ex. 35-36
Exodus Chapter Thirty-Five
- Moses addresses Israel concerning the Tabernacle plans that had been given to him.
- He warns them that this ambitious building project is going to be constructed in keeping with the Lord’s instructions for Sabbath observance (Ex. 35:1-3).
- He instructs them that this ambitious building project is going to be funded entirely by volitional, grace-giving (Ex. 35:4-29).
- Financial grace-gifts were given (Ex. 35:5-9,20-24,27-29).
- Gifts of time were given by those with skill (Ex. 35:10-19,25,26).
- Special, temporary spiritual-gifts were bestowed for the building of the Tabernacle (Ex. 35:30-35).
- Bezalel: in the shadow of God; from the tribe of Judah (Ex. 35:30).
- Oholiab: father’s tent; from the tribe of Dan (Ex. 35:34).
- They were empowered to teach others (Ex. 35:34; 36:1,2).
- Obviously, the spiritual gifts of Tabernacle-building will no longer be given once the Tabernacle is built.
- The spiritual gifts of Church-building (Apostle, prophet, miracles, healing, tongues, 1st Cor. 12:28-31) have not been given since the Church was established (Eph. 2:20). These gifts were meant to be temporary, and pass away with the completion of the canon of Scripture (1st Cor. 13:9,10).
Exodus Chapter Thirty-Six
- Volitional grace-giving, when accomplished by God-fearing believers, with their hearts stirred, is an amazing sight (Ex. 36:2-7). Grace will always be sufficient (Ex. 36:7; 2nd Cor. 12:9).
- The elements of the Tabernacle are then constructed in accordance with the blueprints revealed to Moses (but not in the actual sequence as instructed) (Ex. 36:8-39:43).
- The first and second items actually constructed (curtains of linen and goats’ hair) (Ex. 36:8-18) were the fourth and fifth items verbally instructed (Ex. 26:1-13).
- The third item constructed (coverings of rams skins and porpoise skins) (Ex. 36:19) was the sixth item as instructed (Ex. 26:14).
- The boards, bases, and bars were item four as constructed (Ex. 36:20-34), item seven as instructed (Ex. 26:15-30).
- The inner and outer veils were item five as constructed (Ex. 36:35-38), item eight as instructed) (Ex. 26:31-37).