Today’s reading is: 1 Cor. 8:1-11:1
First Corinthians Chapter Eight
- Another matter that the Corinthians inquired about was the controversy concerning meat sacrificed to idols (1st Cor. 8:1a). Paul gave his answer to them in terms of knowledge and love (8:1b).
- In terms of knowledge, since no other gods exist, meat sacrificed to idols is not a concern to those who exist from, for, and through Jesus Christ (1st Cor. 8:4-6).
- In terms of love, some believers don’t have that perspective, and their weak conscience can be ruined (1st Cor. 8:7-12).
- The Law of Liberty underlies our freedom in the Discretionary Will of God, rendering all such matters as immaterial to the Judgment Seat of Christ (1st Cor. 8:8).
- The Law of Love motivates a believer to waive any liberty he has for the sake of not being a stumbling block (1st Cor. 8:13).
First Corinthians Chapter Nine
- Paul illustrates the principles of liberty and love through the personal examples of himself and Barnabas (1st Cor. 9:1-6).
- Paul functioned under the Law of Love when he ministered to the Corinthians without any mention of their financial obligations towards him (1st Cor. 9:7-18).
- Those who provide spiritual blessings to others through their teaching of the Word should receive temporal blessings from them in gratitude.
- Those who are set apart for full-time service ought to be compensated by that service.
- Paul voluntarily gave up any such compensation from the Corinthians as a freewill offering to the Lord.
- Paul’s attitude was one of bond-service to all whom he ministered (1st Cor. 9:19-23).
- Paul’s attention was focused on the things above—the eternal reward he anticipated from the Lord (1st Cor. 9:24-27).
First Corinthians Chapter Ten
- The believer who is focused on eternal reward will diligently study and apply the Word of God (1st Cor. 10:1-11).
- The believer who is focused on eternal reward will humbly endure all the testing that God faithfully places upon us (1st Cor. 10:12-13).
- The believer who is focused on eternal reward will take very seriously the issue of idolatry (demonism) (1st Cor. 10:14-22).
- The believer who is focused on eternal reward will be totally oriented to the edification of others (once again emphasizing the Law of Love) (1st Cor. 10:23-33).