Today’s reading is: Lk. 11:1-13,33-54; 12:1-48
Luke Chapter Eleven
- After three years of learning from Jesus, and ministering with Him, the Disciples realized that they needed help with their prayer life (Lk. 11:1-13).
- The Lord gave them a model prayer to follow, which outlines basic principles for prayer that even baby believers can follow (vv.2-4).
- The Lord went on to give the adolescent-level prayer principle of persistence (vv.5-8), and the mature-level prayer principle of “much more” (vv.9-13).
(Lk. 11:14-32 outlined on Day 286. Points 4 & 4a repeated here)
- The chapter concludes with a series of messages that appear to be a sampling of exhortations that Jesus gave as His crucifixion approached. [The order is unclear, and perhaps immaterial as it reflects an assortment of messages given on various occasions]
- A rebuke against the crucifixion generation (Lk. 11:29-32; cf. Matt. 12:38-41).
- The parable of the lighted lamp (Lk. 11:33-36; Matt. 5:14-16).
- Judgment against lawyers & Pharisees (Lk. 11:37-54; Matt. 23 in assorted verses).
Luke Chapter Twelve
- Chapter 12 is primarily a private message of the Lord’s to His disciples (Lk. 12:1,54).
- The messages recorded here, (like ch. 11), appear to be a sampling of the Lord’s messages as His death approached.
- He warned His disciples about the leaven of the Pharisees (Lk. 12:1; Matt. 16:6).
- He encouraged them to have confidence in their struggles (Lk. 12:2-9; Matt. 10:26-33).
- The warning against blaspheming the Holy Spirit (Lk. 12:10; Matt. 12:31-32).
- The need to relax when standing before rulers & authorities (Lk. 12:11-12; Matt. 10:17-20).
- The parable of the rich fool is unique to Luke (Lk. 12:13-21), although the practical application is found elsewhere (Lk. 12:22-31 || Matt. 6:25-34; Lk. 12:32-34 || Mt. 6:19-21).
- The chapter closes with messages on readiness in the context of imminence (Lk. 12:35-59).
- The Jews are warned that when the Son of Man returns, He will have his Bride with Him (vv.35-40).
- Peter is warned that imminence has a doubled urgency for him and the other Apostles (vv.41-48).
(Chapter Twelve continues tomorrow)